For information on how to deal with, and protect your computer, please go down to the bottom of the help desk to the archive section (main page). From there select how to combat Spyware, in this archive there are many tools, which will help you combat this problem. Problems concerning the Windows XP Operating System should go in this forum.

Email This Page to Someone
  Footslog's Web Boards
  Windows XP
  'WINDOWS' in Recycle Bin

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   'WINDOWS' in Recycle Bin
rogerthomas84
posted October 26, 2006 10:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rogerthomas84     Edit/Delete Message
Ok guys! Ive just had WINDOWS appear in the recycle bin. and read that you may want to try something. Let me know at roger.thomas@welshdragonhome.com

Roger

IP: Logged

gremlinkurst
posted November 03, 2004 11:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gremlinkurst     Edit/Delete Message
There is an application "out there somewhere" which looks at a secified file and identifies the processes and applications currently using/accessing it. I just can't remember who developed and released it. It's called "In Use By," and it seems to have vanished; I can't find it using search engines.

Josh1
Administrator
posted November 03, 2004 11:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Josh1     Edit/Delete Message
Now some process may need to reboot so it can refresh the system files and registry to reflect the changes you just made. I do not know of any software that can do that.

------------------
Powered by Intelligent Computing Solutions.
------------------------
www.footslog.com

www.compsol.8k.com

For every problem, there is a solution.

gremlinkurst
posted November 03, 2004 10:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gremlinkurst     Edit/Delete Message
No, that's not necessary. "Simply" rebooting removes the handle. What I WANT is a way to remove the handle WITHOUT rebooting, and if I cannot identify the application or process that is misbehaving and locking up the file, I can't make it let go…without rebooting. It's like using quantum physics instead of addition and subtraction. I wish to avoid restarting unless absolutely necessary.

Josh1
Administrator
posted November 02, 2004 08:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Josh1     Edit/Delete Message
What you could do is go into safe mode and then rename or delete it, or whatever you would like to do. What exactly are you looking for?

------------------
------------------------
www.footslog.com

www.compsol.8k.com

gremlinkurst
posted November 02, 2004 05:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gremlinkurst     Edit/Delete Message
ALMOST what I wanted. I've used Process Explorer before. The thing I like about it is that it gives more information about running processes and applications than Task Manager does. Only, can it look at a text document and tell me "who" is using it when NOBODY is supposed to be using it? That's the problem I have sometimes, not being able to delete, rename, edit, or move it because "file is in use by another application or process."

Josh1
Administrator
posted November 01, 2004 02:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Josh1     Edit/Delete Message
Odd, yes there is a program that can do what you want, try these http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml And you can debug with process explorer.

------------------
------------------------
www.footslog.com

www.compsol.8k.com

gremlinkurst
posted November 01, 2004 12:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for gremlinkurst     Edit/Delete Message
ONE last little tidbit on this: I have discovered how to reproduce this error with 100% success, although I cannot determine whether or not this is the only way that this error can occur. This 'WINDOWS' In The Recycle Bin bug is created when one attempts to delete any file that is either legitimately open/in use (i.e., with full knowledge and consent of user) or in use by some other application or process transparent to the user. ALWAYS. That this happens AT ALL is an arcane mystery I have wisely decided not to plumb (one cannot know the mind of Murphy [God/Loki]); not having the knowledge and skills (and no way to acquire them), I've elected not to wrestle too much with it, having found a suitable defense. HOWEVER…something occurs to me, after all, that MIGHT allow me to solve this puzzle with satisfactory finality: Is there an application/utility on the market (freeware, shareware, or purchase) that will allow a user to identify any and all processes and applications currently using a specified file? I VAGUELY recall running across an "In Use By" product somewhere, once, but have since forgotten who released/developed it. This would be an IMMENSE help with a number of debugging solutions.

Josh1
Administrator
posted October 31, 2004 02:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Josh1     Edit/Delete Message
I had that happen to me before too, on many computers, as a matter of fact. Thanks for sharing, if that happens to me again or any one else, will we have to try that, thanks.

------------------